A little history
The club was founded as the Southfields Miniature RC in 1902, in the drill hall in Balvernie Grove, SW18, it moved to its present site in May 1904. This was an age when it was considered a social duty to be ready to defend the realm and the empire Britannia ruled over, shooting became a ‘must do’ sport and Wandsworth alone had over 30 Rifle Clubs.
In that first period Southfields RC was certainly the most important club in the country, but in having the majority of the gold medal winning GB team as members at the 1908 Olympics at Bisley Camp, it was arguably the most successful club in the world. We have many archives, trophies and medals from that time and the exploits of our champions are well documented in the Wandsworth Borough News of the day,
as well as the Illustrated London News. In 1914 the club had financial difficulties and faced liquidation, however following a meeting held in the Spread Eagle pub in Wandsworth High Street, a member bought the debt and the Club was reborn the next day as the Wimbledon Park Rifle Club.
Over the years the club and its members have won many national trophies, and individuals have won World Championships, Olympic & Commonwealth Medals and the British Championships. Many have represented home nations in International matches and represented their respective counties.
The Club was originally in the sporting County of London, but with few clubs remaining in that designated area, we may well be re-designated into Surrey County during rule changes in a reorganisation of sporting boundaries by our governing body the NSRA.
Hand in hand with this special past we are also very interested in the future and dedicated to promoting good safe competitive sport within Target Rifle shooting.